Tuesday, September 24, 2013

3.2 "Churlish"

When/Where: The Cheshire Cheese Cat provided me not only the first vocab word for this week, but also the second: "Churlish". I found the term "Churlish" one night as I was reading this book before bed. I dutifully typed churlish into my iPhone's notepad app and continued with my reading. Of course now I'm trying to find the sentence that I read containing this specific term and the book has turned into a sepulcher. Ah ha! See what I did there?! If the term sepulcher causes you to pause, please refer to blog post 3.1! 

Level of Familiarity: While I don't specifically remember a time a place that I heard this word, I feel that it not completely new. It may be that I'm thinking of words that sound similar however, such as "girlish".

Definition by Bing:

churl·ish
  1. crass: characteristic of somebody with bad manners
  2. unkind and grumpy: surly, sullen, or miserly
Reflection: While I don't remember the exact sentence that I read, I had to really consider what I thought of this term to go on my boondoggle through the book. I knew that I was most likely looking for an unpleasant conversation between two characters. I do remember that churlish was used to describe a response. As I skimmed the pages, I was looking very closely at text which involved the protagonist Skilly and the antagonist Pinch. I also expanded this search to include any situation where there was some type of negative interaction. This is important to note, because I had to reflect on what churlish meant and consider how it was most likely used. I unintentionally spent (useful) time reflecting more deeply on this new term

No comments:

Post a Comment