Sunday, September 29, 2013

4.1 - Consternation

When/Where: I was reading aloud the The Cheshire Cheese Cat and came across the following sentence: "Henry heaved a great sigh of consternation". This is my second time reading through the book, and I'm continuously amazed at the amount of words I'm unfamiliar with.

Level of familiarity: I've never heard this word before. Well, not true. I must have read it my first time through this book, but skipped over it because I didn't know it. I'm interested in learning this word because I have no idea what it means, however in terms of my  I gathered from the context of the book, consternation was not associated with good or excited feelings, but I did not foresee the word meaning it's definition.

Definition by Merium-Webster:

con·ster·na·tion


A strong feeling of surprise or sudden disappointment that causes confusion or dismay that hinders or throws into confusion.
 
 
Reflection: I have felt consternation before. The last time I was acutely aware of this feeling was when I opened up a birthday present from my husband. As I unwrapped the much anticipated gift, I slowly released a not-so-suttle sigh of consternation as I gazed down at my brand spanking new... pedometer. Awesome Wednesday gift, but birthday gift? I was disappointed and confused as to where my wonderful husband had come up with such a... thoughtful gift! Furthermore, I was not sure how to act for I did not want to give him any positive reinforcement less he got any more bright ideas! 

No comments:

Post a Comment