Monday, October 7, 2013

5.1 Enigmatic

When/Where: My environmental class watched an episode of Ancient Aliens the other day during class. One of the ancient alien theorists was discussing the Moai of Easter Island (the monolithic statures if giant heads that dot the island's coast). The man said like "The enigmatic expression on their faces...."

Familiarity: I've heard this word before. Always in description of someone or something. I'm not sure what it means, but it makes me think of "high energy". Probably because enigmatic reminds me of the word energetic.

Definition provided by Google:

 
adjective: enigmatic; adjective: enigmatical
 
1. difficult to interpret or understand; mysterious.  
 
Reflection: The definition of this word completely makes sense to me. When I think about the Moi, there really is no better word to use when describing them besides enigmatic. Using enigmatic in this context, makes me appreciate how one might truly consider what word their using to convey a very specific message.

No comments:

Post a Comment