Where/When: I heard this word when someone was talking about another person's reaction. I didn'thear the full conversation, but I heard the person say something like "I didn't think it called for such a draconian reaction".
Familiarity: I've heard this word before, but not often and I've never used it. I think it has a negative connotation to it.
Definition by Google:
dra·co·ni·an
adjective
adjective: draconian
1.
(of laws or their application) excessively harsh and severe.
... and more from Wikipedia:
Draconian is an adjective meaning great severity, that derives from Draco, an Athenian law scribe under whom small offences had heavy punishments (Draconian laws).
Reflection: This definition makes sense considering what I recall of the conversation. Like I said, by the person's tone... it didn't seem like the person's response was a good response. I know now, the person reacting was probably overreacting, and probably responded with some harsh words that were not necessary.
No comments:
Post a Comment