Monday, October 28, 2013

8.2 Contentious

Where/When: In my environmental class I was showing a video concerning the survival of horse shoe crabs. The narrator stated " The moratorium on horse shoe crab fishing has been deeply contentious".

Familiarity: I don't personally use this word. I think it means something like controversial.

Definition: By google

con·ten·tious
kənˈtenCHəs/
adjective
adjective: contentious
  1. causing or likely to cause an argument; controversial.
    "a contentious issue"
    synonyms:controversial, disputable, debatable, disputed, open to debate, vexed

Reflection: I was right! The word used in the context of the film I was showing specifically relates tot the argument between the fisherman who use the crab as bait and the researchers who know the number of horse shoe crabs are dwindling to an unsafe rate. I guess I'm not really sure how this word is different rom controversial. Why would one choose to use contentious over controversial?

No comments:

Post a Comment