Where/When: When watching an episode of BBC's "Life", the video zoomed into a frog climbing up a steep cliff and the narrator said: "the frog's future looks precarious...."
Familiarity: This word is not new to me. I wouldn't say that I hear it often, but it is certainly more common than some of my other vocab words. I don't feel comfortably enough to use this word... I think it probably has something to do with uncertainty.
Definition by Google:
pre·car·i·ous
adjective: precarious
1.
not securely held or in position; dangerously likely to fall or collapse.
"a precarious ladder"
2.
dependent on chance; uncertain.
"she made a precarious living by writing"
Reflection: In the context of the video, I believe both meanings of the word were intended. The frog was not in a stable location and it was actually be stalked by a tarantula. In this case, the frog was likely to fall but it was also uncertain whether it would become a meal for the large spider. Click to witness the awesome escape of the pebble toad!
No comments:
Post a Comment