Monday, October 7, 2013

5.2 Nebulous

Where/When: I was in a meeting the other day to discuss the qualifications for students to be considered for an accelerate science program. My principal was discussing why we should have a concrete characteristic and requirement list for parents to read. She made a comment that in the past, the requirements were rather nebulous.

Familiarity: I've know I've heard this word before, and I have a decent understanding of what it means. While I can't think of  specific example of a past encounter with the word, I know it was used when the topic of conversation was somewhat confusing. I don't think this is the definition of the word, because it wouldn't make complete sense when considering the context of the situation in how my principal used it. While I don't know my new principal that well, I have the impression based on her records that she is very well educated and chooses her words wisely.

Definition by google:

neb·u·lous
ˈnebyələs/
adjective
adjective: nebulous
  • in the form of a cloud or haze; hazy.
"a giant nebulous glow"



I chose to include this picture of a nebula, because it can represent the concept of an unclear, hazy idea. While there are certain colors (gases) that can be clearly seen, the cloud lacks an overall shape, and it's hard to define where the cloud ends and space begins. I think this is similar to vague or incomplete thoughts.


Reflection: There were three (really two) definitions of the word nebulous - I highlighted in pink the definition that seemed most accurate in explaining how my principal used the word. I can see how this term differs from confusion, especially in terms of the requirements we were discussing. In the past, there have always been requirements to be in the accelerated program, however whether they were enforced or not to accept or reject a student was a case by case situation and unclear. The requirements were not confusing, because they were straight-forward (ie. the student must have an 85% or higher in 6th grade science) but again, whether the requirements were followed was uncertain.  

No comments:

Post a Comment