Where/When: I hear and use this word every single day of my life I'm sure. I'm including it in this blog because I'll be honest... it boggles my mind. Warps my brain... I just can't pin the meaning down!
Familiarity: I'm including it in this blog because I'll be honest... it boggles my mind. Warps my brain... I just can't pin the meaning down!
Definition: Instead of recording just the definition, I decided to contrast affect with effect because I confuse the meaning of these two words. Definitions provided by: Vocabulary.com and Diffen.com
Affect: Effect
Verb: To influence something or cause change Verb: To produce or bring about
Noun: Relates to the display of emotion Noun: The result of an action
Affect is often used as a verb! Effect is often used a s noun!
Reflection: I think I have a difficult time with this word for a few reasons. One, I'm not sure I was explicitly taught the difference between these two words or if I was, I did not get enough practice using them correctly. Two, I wonder how many other people really understand the word affect, and if they know when I'm saying it wrong. I know it is common place to go about correcting people in public, but I've never had anyone at any point in time I was using the word wrong when I know I must have been. Three, affect and effect have similar definition, to cause change vs. to produce?! So close, but YET, a distinction. When effect is used as a verb, it makes me think something is beginning, hence the word produce. To change, or affect, does not necessarily mean the start of something. To help me get this straight in my head... I really need to focus on the verb vs. noun piece. It helps me to know affect is more commonly used as a verb.
No comments:
Post a Comment